Tuesday, December 20, 2011

TRAVEL for FOOD?


After the various articles I wrote in this blog, and after much thought what I will write offer you readers as my year-end article, the idea of suggesting a ‘positive resolution’ dawned to me.  Most of the popular resolutions border on the ‘do not, will not, will lessen, etc.’ so I thought of an idea that is positive and will somehow share the experiences I had of travelling and exploring for food. 

So why the suggestion to travel and explore food in many places?  I think the primary reason is that the wisdom imparted by traveling and the depth added in one’s character whenever you experience other people’s culture with their food can never replace the ‘cost’ of doing so.  I never did short-changed myself when it comes to food and my mother’s words are still clear in my mind when she said that I should grab every opportunity to sample food whether it looks good or not, because I would never know if I will get another chance to do so. 

So for 2012, I am daring everyone to select destination(s) and list down food you haven’t tried but would be interested to sample.  Nope, I am not advocating spending your hard earned money in a snap of a finger.  Remember, I have been an advocating of researching first, so try to find good deals first.  You do not also have to travel out of the country as experiencing Philippines offers experiences that are equally breath-taking.  Experiencing international food and being open to trying them out can also indirectly let you ‘travel’ to those places through the experience.

Here are some of my travel pix from my travels in China, Malaysia, Singapore and around the Philippines as well as food I sampled.  Be inspired and I am wishing you all a WELL FED AND TRAVELLED 2012! Go Year of the Dragon, Roar it up!

at a resto in Dongguan, China
Seafood extravaganza at China
something sweet... mung beans hot and cold
dumplings, pancakes
'maporma' cakes in China still
I needed to pose with these beautiful cakes
I had to have Mark & Lala try the spicy meals of Malaysia
Try the local transportations --- Malaysia transit system
McDonalds in Malaysia had Ribena.. I wish we had it too here...
Explore your own country too!  Mt Pulag in North
Get to meet people and extend your network
Share stories and learn cultures
With my siblings at a Hot Air Balloon event
With my friends on another year...same event, a whole new fun
opportunity to take pictures abound.. be creative
Our Bora home away from home
Memories that will last a lifetime
Capture the beauty of many places
Explore food and experience culture
A simple breakfast can be a combination of sorts
Dare yourself to try new stuff... even scary ones!
Experience luxury worth your hardwork...
revisit the old ways of  'getting there'
This was my birthday celebrated in Bora...
In the end, go to places where you want to enrich your existence
              

40 comments:

  1. I wish I can be that brave to try different cuisines, if it doesn't look appealing I usually will never try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinese na chinese yung itsura ng mga cakes... hehehe masarap kaya sila?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sadly they aren't sweet (atleast to d Fil taste ha).... was told tht Chnse frm mainlnd dnt hv sweet tooth

      Delete
  3. Looking forward for more adventures and yes, the food too! Keep it up and God Bless your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can go to unfamiliar places but for some reasons, I am very picky about food. Anything unfamiliar, I don't eat. I'm sure you have tried ordering food you had no idea about and felt disappointed after tasting it. I hate it when that happens.This post gives good advice, though.
    I am up to the sound suggestions except the food part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally understand ur point and thanks for sharing your comments. The thing with me is whether I am satisfied with the food or not, I am more after the experience of having tried it... The better way is to really do research also prior to venturing to an adventure..

      Delete
    2. Food is part of the culture. If you wish to travel the place you must bear in your mind that food are good and safe to eat. It may not look appealling, but it is tasty only if you wish to try. Dining is no. 3 of my list when I travel. Anyways, there are more options to try you can buy cup noodles if you want to satisfy your taste.

      I actually like the entire article. That is called one word "Detailed".

      Delete
  5. like the photo of maporma cakes in china hope meron din dito sa atin... keep posting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i think they have in Powerplant not sure though sa specific store... ehe... but yes, they are maporma

      Delete
  6. The problem with me when I travel is I always indulge in food, and I tend to eat too much. LOL!
    I agree with, I should try every food when I can.. thats also my motto when travelling. There's just no getting away from good food.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i can relate at times... but slowly I am learning how to properly 'pace' ehe..

      Delete
  7. wow you just summarized the joy of traveling like it's me talking! traveling is one of my passion... the experience and learning about culture is priceless! I love Chinese food, Indians though so spicy and so are Malay food! and viet of course, one of my favorite.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dared myself to eat a roasted Guinea Pig in Cuzco, but didn't have the heart to do it :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you I always make it a point to try out the local cuisine whenever I find myself in new places. I even tried eating Tamilok in Puerto Princesa during our 4 days vacation there. It was a little bit disgusting but still manageable. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all that you said. I am a traveler and a foodie as well. Just came from my Bkk trip and it was a blast. There is a lot to learn by visiting different places. The food, their culture - all for the appreciation of life. More travels and more food finds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KC, yes I totally agree. I tried being one or the other but being a traveler is made complete with being a foodie too (and vice versa... now im trying to go out and be a photographer too... ehe..

      Delete
  11. Though I am not as adventurous with food, I agree that trying out the country's food is part of the travel. Though our country offers international food, it's different when you eat a specialty of a certain country. There's a sense of authenticity. :) Cheers to more travels and food trips this 2012! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes, u got that right Karla.... the 'source' definitely offers the SPIRIT of the food... but there are really good food havens too in our country... what I usually check is if their chefs or atleast the owners are nationals of that country...

      Delete
  12. I agree with you a travel is not complete without the traveler sampling the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Cha, and to top it all up, trying something NEW would amplify that sense of fulfillment a gazillion times

      Delete
  13. How could you satisfy your curiosity if you're not going to try anything along your way! Traveling is always coupled with eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen to that Gil :) thanks for visiting my blog... feel free to drop by anytime and give comments

      Delete
  14. travel and food really go hand in hand... i just wish i'm as adventurous as you are when it comes to trying out food from different places :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ive always been an advocate of researching so that you can condition yourself prior to the real 'fight' ehe...

      Delete
  15. Indeed travel and food hobbyist. It is wonderful to experience other culture and cuisine, you learn a lot and will appreciate more the exquisiteness of your own country when you have the chance to know what others are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i could not agree more! thanks for signing up the members' list Earlied.. hope i don't disappoint you guys

      Delete
  16. I just loved the photos you took and I missed eating great food in China!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh food. One of the few things I love! I'd love to experience eating great food to those places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahahaha guilty of it too, that's why I can't stop going to the gym to balance things out

      Delete
  18. gusto ko rin nung Chinese cakes! parang masarap :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh...if you're into traveling and food, Thailand might be a good place for you, too. Bus fares are low and foods are delicious (if you like spicy). There are a lot of places to go too if you're into ancient history and temples, beaches and natural parks and city life is always alive in BKK.

    Anyways...what a great year that was. i wonder where you'll be heading this year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. im not terribly picky when it comes to food , but we always have our choices and favorites

    ReplyDelete