Thursday, December 29, 2011

Korean 'Fast' Food Take











My recent blog post on Korean cuisine introduced the basic concepts of what to expect on a Korean meal and it also focused on ‘banchan’ or the side dishes popular to the Korean eating experience.  For its 2nd installment, I will feature two of the best places for my self- assigned term:  Korean Fast Food.  It is through these establishments that Korean food was made known to the general masses with their less threatening ambience, menu selection and primarily due to the affordability of meals.  I am referring to 1st Avenue in the main Mac Arthur Hi-way of Balibago, Angeles city and Mr. Ramyun which is now in almost every place I know in the metro.  Both of these establishments are accessible, almost always open during wee hours of the night (after work) and have relatively nice staff.

TOUR 1:  1st Avenue
Located in Balibago Angeles City, this place is not hard to find.  It is strategically located along the famous Mac Arthur Hi-way and is next to popular spots like McDonalds Balibago and a new Seven Eleven store.  It’s famous orange signage invites hungry souls to visit it.  Do not, however, get discouraged by the seemingly narrow space because the venue actually stretches at the back where a more spacious area awaits the customers.  The ambience, I would say, borders on the informal, fast food slash drinking hub type.  The winning point for choosing this place is that I see a lot of Koreans frequent this place so it must be good.  In terms of menu selection, they have quite some on their list and if you do not know the Korean language, it would be a bit difficult trying to figure them out.  I wish they’d have more pictures instead or at least descriptions.  Price-wise, I’d say they have theirs grouped into two.  On one side are on the average to above average range with some of the items priced almost as if you were in a fine dining restaurant (must be the type of ingredients I say).  The other side, the one which would be more appealing to people are the more ‘popular’ Korean fares so even without photos, newbies would have it easier deciding.  I am talking about their Ramyun and Kimbab line-up.

Ram-what? Kim-say again? To level off our understanding and for the benefit of those who have not tried anything Korean, let me give a crash course description of what ramyun and kimbab are.  Ramyun is the Korean equivalent of the famous Japanese Ramen (or Lomi of the Southern Tagalog).  It is spicy, flavorful and usually with spring onions, eggs, chili and various toppings. Kimbab, on the other hand, is the Korean’s take of a sushi roll.

In 1st Avenue, they have quite a number of ramyun options.  The most affordable is the Babae Ramyun (I still don’t know how it is pronounced) at about 55 pesos per bowl.  The other Ramyuns usually have various toppings that differentiate one from the other.  I have so far tried the cheese, dumpling and kimchi variations.  Good news also for the ladies as a typical order of ramyun can be SPLIT into two so no wastage there for the ‘not-so-hungry’ customers.
I haven’t gotten a chance to know who the owner is but when I do, I would ask for a more extensive feature especially of their menu options.


TOUR 2: Mr. Ramyun
 This player I would say started it all.  It became an instant hit with the younger residents of Angeles City with the establishments of mini-shops that offer Korean fares.  Not only are they restaurants, but they also are a ‘food shop’ where people can buy instant noodles (that’s a big smile for those who want to extend their Korean ramyun experience to the comforts of their homes) and some nice desserts (Fish Ice cream anyone?).  Below is a photo I got from their facebook account where customers can see (and decide) what type of food to take.  One of their advantages is that they already divided their offerings into options for a ‘full meal’ and the other to give just ‘half’ of the usual servings.                 
 Yes, that’s about three (or four counting Jiampong style) levels of ‘hotness’ you can choose from.  Or just simply advise the team when you order should you want yours mild (or extra hot).  And while we are on the topic of noodles, Mr. Ramyun also has their ‘Mr. U-Dong’ line-up.
A break from the usual kimbab offering (which they also have, by the way) is the Riceball.  It will remind some of the popular siopao but instead of a bun, it is rice that covers the stuffing.

One of the nicest location of Mr. Ramyun is the one located at the Angeles-famous Bale Harencia.  There are several ways of going there.  One is to ride the yellow Villa-Pampang bound jeepneys and the other is to ride the blue C.Point Hi-way PUJs.  It is strategically located next to Holy Angel University so this place is commonly frequented by students.  Below are some of the photos I have when I recently visited their place.  

 
 
 
 
 

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!
There is this new food kiosk near to where we go for the gym making 'Korean Egg Cakes'... at PhP 20 per piece.  Not so sure if you have these on other places too, but it's the first one of its kind that I saw here.  I'm going to do further research...


 

18 comments:

  1. Not a huge fan of Korean food but I do like their Korean noodles.

    Korean egg cakes? First time to know about it here. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review on Korean food. I haven't tried anything but Kimchi and I didn't like it. =( By the way, I ate some Korean ice cream before and well, you can't go wrong with ice cream =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love their ice cream and dessert the most. Sobrang win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am intrigued with the korean egg cake .it looks delicious and worth biting for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ice cream! And i love japanese cakes for sure korean's cake taste good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ice cream!! Sarap nyan! I've tried them already and they never let me down. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, medyo di ko gusto ang Korean foods :D Ewan ko bakit but after reading your post, I'm having second thoughts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I love Korean food. Though I havent tried the Korean ice cream, this post makes me want it asAp

    ReplyDelete
  9. korean tops my fave cuisine and ramyum and kimbap top my personal favorites! I eat jampong everyday and shin ramyun, then i make kimbap too!!yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love everything Korean except for the food...i find it kinda bland compared to Japanese...

    ReplyDelete
  11. KIMCHIIIIIIIIIIII!. 'Nuff said. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  12. we were in pampanga the other week and we should have tried this. but we were craving filipino dishes that time. perhaps next time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. korean foods are not my taste..though i've tried some.. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Korean food..I am learning to be a fan. Glad you shared this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like ko ma try Binggrae ice cream! Kasi na disappoint ako sa Magnum e sana sa Binggrae hindi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love to try these too given the chance! :D Ang layo lang kasi eh.. haha.. Anyway, craving for Binggrae ice cream because of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The egg cakes are intriguing. Is it similar to rice cakes?> Takoyaki or what?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not really a fan of Korean food. But the egg cakes look like they're delish.

    ReplyDelete